Sunday, February 23, 2014

Persuasive Principle #3: Law of Esteem



          In Maximum Influence, author Kurt W. Mortensen states, “The Law of Esteem identifies that all humans need and want praise, recognition, and acceptance” (Mortensen 70). I feel that this law suggests that the more you offer praise and make someone feel valued, the more persuasive you will be. I use the Law of Esteem daily, but not with the intention to persuade people. Every day I try to praise people sincerely whether it is my family, friends, or strangers. I always tell my mom that the dinner she cooks is amazing because she was given cooking lessons from the Gods. I just want to let my mom know that I greatly appreciate the effort she puts into every meal. In school I will praise my fellow classmates (who I am in a group with) that their ideas are great to show I appreciate their contributions. I plan on using praise as a persuasive technique to see if I can be successful with such an intention in mind. Hopefully I will come to understand what it takes to use this law effectively, so I can use it effectively as I embark on my career aspirations.
            An example of the Law of Esteem in action is in a boss and assistant relationship. Consider a situation in which the assistant schedules all of the boss’ meetings, acquires new clients, and even picks up lunch. In a sense, the assistant does all of the little things which contribute to the boss’ big success. If the boss doesn’t praise and acknowledge the assistant’s hard work, he may begin to feel unappreciated. The assistant may be far less likely to want to do things for the boss because he feels like he has to; it is only part of the job. If the assistant doesn’t like the work, the quality of it may be less than adequate. As a result, the boss’ success may diminish because he didn’t give the praise to the assistant that would motivate him to want to help the boss. In order to use this law in a more successful manner, this boss should offer praise where it is needed and deserved. As a result, the assistant will be persuaded to want to do quality work because he knows it won’t go unappreciated.
            I use the Law of Esteem as much as I can when it comes to my sister and her academics. That is, I always offer praise to her when she gets good grades to let her know that good  things come from good grades. My goal is to persuade her to continue to do well in school, while also reminding her to stay humble and put in the effort that is necessary to succeed. Since she never performs poorly in school, I try to let her know that she isn’t perfect without sending a negative message to her. I want to keep her ego in check (not to high or low) so she can continue to succeed in school, like she is, with flying colors.
            My final example is centered around the concept of ingratiation. According to Kurt W. Mortensen, “Ingratiation is gaining favor by means of a deliberate effort, such as compliments, flattery, and agreeableness” (Mortensen 75). Many people may refer to this as sucking up or brown-nosing, but it works because it increases likability and promotes an increase in self-esteem. Take for example if a boss was about to chose between two of his workers for a promotion. Both workers are equal in their ability to do their jobs, and they both want that promotion. While one worker continues to do his job in an exemplary manner, the other worker takes things a step further by utilizing the concept of ingratiation. He constantly praises his boss’ hard work, compliments his outfit daily, and always sides with the boss. In addition, he uses the power of apology to remind his boss that he is in power and that the worker is below him. In the end, the ingratiator got the promotion by persuading his boss through praise, compliments, and boosting his self-esteem (Mortensen 75-76). Kurt W. Mortensen says it best that, “Our esteem is so starved that we accept any flattery or praise we can get” (Mortensen 75).

No comments:

Post a Comment