Sunday, February 23, 2014

Persuasive Principle #1: Law of Connectivity



            According to Kurt W. Mortensen, author of Maximum Influence, “The Law of Connectivity states that the more someone feels connected to, liked by, or attracted to you, the more persuasive you become” (Mortensen 28). I feel that the Law of Connectivity suggests that the more someone likes you and the more common ground you have, the more persuasive you’ll become. Out of all the persuasive principles we have talked about thus far, I use the Law of Connectivity the most. This is because using manners and giving genuine compliments can go a long way, especially when it comes to persuasion. If you give someone an honest compliment and then they feel good about themselves, they will more than likely perceive you in a positive manner. As a result of establishing such a bond, it will be easier to persuade that person because they will trust you. Although I use this principle every day, I don’t have persuasive intentions in mind. I think it is important to be respectful to others and have a positive impact on people’s lives. This is apparent when I compliment someone’s outfit, hold doors open for people, or simply smile and say hello. It has been effective because people seem to smile and are happy as a result. Throughout this semester and beyond I will try to expand my use of this principle and test the ability I have to use it. By using it in different situations with persuasive intentions in mind I will be able to learn and improve my persuasive skills.
            One example where I have used the Law of Connectivity is whenever I work at my country club. I work as a caddie and every time I go out to the golf course I am assigned to a country club member. My responsibilities are simple, for I am to carry the member’s golf clubs and tend other miscellaneous things. In order to build a connection with a member I’ve never met before, I compliment them on their golf game no matter how good or bad they actually are. I also ask a lot of questions to gain common ground, which helps me build a bond with the member. If I’m successful with my tactics, I will have persuaded the member that I am an exceptional caddie, and hopefully they’ll give me a larger tip at the end of the day. To make things better, hopefully they will request me in the future as a caddie because of their positive associations about me.

          Marvel’s Captain America: The First Avenger is another example where the Law of Connectivity is present. In the movie, the main character Steve Rogers was initially very skinny, small, and weak. No women ever saw him for more than his physical appearance and never paid attention to the extraordinary heart he had. Guys would beat him up constantly due to Steve’s lack of physical attributes. But one day Steve Rogers underwent an experiment that turned him into the legendary Captain America. His good looks and unmatched strength changed people’s perceptions of him; now he was perfect and could do nothing wrong. Women wanted him now even though the only thing that changed was his body. This is a prime example of the Halo effect, which states that “attraction operates by making one of your positive characteristics affect other people’s overall perception of you” (Mortensen 28). As a result of Steve’s transformation into Captain America people automatically associated traits of kindness, trust, and intelligence with his attractiveness (Mortensen 28). If the experiment’s goal was to persuade people that Steve Rogers was a perfect person in an imperfect world, it was beyond successful.


            My last example that presents a situation in which the Law of Connectivity was not successful was when I met one of my dad’s co-workers. Since he was a business man it was appropriate that we shook hands upon our introduction. As I firmly gripped his hand, his hand only dangled in the grasp of mine. It felt extremely uncomfortable and I unconsciously associated distrust with him immediately. As Kurt W. Mortensen explains that a handshake can make or break a first impression, this one certainly damaged my first impression of this co-worker (Mortensen 38). It was unfortunate because I felt that his handshake communicated weakness and incompetence. No matter what he did after that it would be hard for me to be persuaded by him if I was an actual businessman. In order to be successful in persuading me, I felt that his handshake should have been firm because it would have suggested that he was strong, competent, and knowledgeable.



No comments:

Post a Comment